Umpiring is a very unique, challenging and rewarding way to participate in field hockey. With players, there are all skill levels, and the same goes for umpires. Whether you want to make a little pocket money or to be involved in your sport, umpiring can be a great way to be a part of the game.
Registration is now OPEN for our 2018 Umpiring Clinics!
- Mini-Rules Umpiring Clinic
- Club Rules Umpiring Clinic
All individuals wishing to be an umpire for 2018 Spring League must attend one of these clinics.
- Refresher Umpiring Clinic
All returning umpires must attend either the Refresher Clinic or a Club or Provincial Course in order to be included on the current WVFHC Umpires List.
- Required for ALL umpires with 2 or more years experience who have previously umpired 2 years of Club Rules or U13-U18 games.
- You must be registered to play Spring League with WVFHC
- Thursday, March 15th, Tuesday, April 3rd or Wednesday, April 18th
Club Rules Clinics:
- For all new umpires and returning umpires with 0 - 2 years experience. Will cover umpiring full field rules and umpiring U11-14 games.
- Suggested age 13 and older, and you must be registered to play Spring League with WVFHC
- Wednesday, March 14th, Thursday, April 5th or Tuesday, April 17th
- For new umpires and returning umpires wishing to umpire exclusively at the U9-U10 level
- Suggested age 12 or older, and you must be registered to play Spring League with WVFHC
- Tuesday, March 13th, Wednesday, April 4th or Thursday, April 19th
Details for All Clinics:
- All clinics will be held at Sentinel Secondary School in Class Room #304 from 7:00-9:00pm
- There is a $10 clinic fee for all umpiring clinics
- Whistles and shirts are mandatory for ALL umpires and will be available at every clinic (pricing to be announced soon)
- Bring a pen/pencil, and paper - you may also bring your stick or any other items you feel necessary
If you have questions or are unable to attend one of the clinics, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- Refunds for cancellations will not be available as administration costs, cheque and mailing cost will exceed $10
As part of our ongoing commitment to umpire development, we are excited to announce a new pay scale for umpiring this Spring League:
All umpires (Mini rules, Club rules &
Community umpires) are required to attend ONE MANDATORY clinic. To
receive the "Education Incentive" bonus, umpires will need to
attend a 2nd clinic during the season. This 2nd clinic will ensure there is an adequate
understanding of the theory required to be a successful umpire and to give
umpires the opportunity to get feedback from
We value committed umpires who want to
improve. All umpires who umpire 8 games or more will receive a "Commitment
Incentive" bonus. We also encourage
all umpires to get assessed by a Mentor. This assessment will give you real-time
feedback and will help with decision-making and positional play.
bonus incentive has been activated, you will receive back-pay on your previous